Thread: Build Log Polaris "Rudderless DLG"
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
9,149 Posts
OK, so I finally got the pull string thing sorted out and I'm happy with it. I used a Larks head on the elevator end and a Dubro Pull/Pull crimping sleeve on the servo end.... with a drip of CA for good measure. The string is 50lb spider wire that I pre stretched with a 10 pound weight for over 24 hours. I think it should hold up well.

So after all that fiddling and bad weather I did manage to slip out for some initial trim tosses last evening just before dark.... when there was no wind. After the 4 or 5 over head hand tosses I gave it a few 50% discus launches. It's definitely an adjustment to fly rudderless, especially when you're flying low and slow. I found myself wondering why the plane wasn't turning and then realized... not that stick, stupid. It has no rudder. Anyway, it feels like a real honey in the air. In fact, it feels very light footed out there. Later today, I'm going to get a chance to fly it again and I'm fairly confident I'll get to wring it out a bit and get a really good feel for it. I'm looking forward to that.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz