Thread: Build Log Piper Cub Sailplane
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by Nodd
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
728 Posts
Nodd RC - 026 - Cub Sailplane Part 1 (10 min 33 sec)

Flight Report (spoiler alert - watch video first)
Well as you can see that didn't go as well as I'd hoped although not a big surprise either, given the deliberately compromised design. Here's my thoughts...

Issue 1
The placement of my ridiculously big wheel sticking way too far out below the fuselage & positioned right at the CG doomed the aerotow. The nose-skid helped but not enough to keep the plane level & stable while towing. A lower profile wheel positioned properly would let her roll smoothly without generating gobs of drag for the poor tow-plane.

Issue 2
Everyone who picks her up is surprised at the weight. She's a heavy bugger, that combined with the short-coupled tail moment makes for some "interesting" flying. I think she'll be manageable if only I can get her in the air & moving along at a good clip.

Issue 3
Watching the alarming angle of attack during the high-start launch, I'm wondering if maybe moving the two-hook location further forward would help. Other factors such as CG & elevator trim may have contributed to the problem too.

The Next Step
After I make the repairs I think I'm going to remove the wheel & nose-skid & just let her slide along on her belly. I'll see if that helps with the ground handling. I may also remove the wing-struts at least until I have a few more test flights under my belt. With the nose-skid gone I can also try moving the tow-hook location forward a little.

Seriously this isn't Serious
While this may come across as a poor excuse for blatantly bad design, my main drive behind this build was to learn about working with foam. This project has in that sense been a success. I'm now confident enough to proceed with some more serious designs. That said I'm not done with this Cub though, at least not yet. I'm pretty sure I can get her flying.

Anyway bring on the theories, suggestions & those inevitable "I told you so's". I have it coming & I welcome it all. Fun Fun.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Last edited by Nodd; Mar 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM.