Thread: Discussion Flying styles.
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
We have the same policy at our club to try and give the very beginning flyer the sky to themselves and their instructor. Once they get a lot more proficient, the instructors will encourage other flyers up to give the learner some valueable sky sharing training. Most will stay on the ground for their own reasons (I have heard of a few mid-air's with learning pilots) and let them fly unencumbered.

I have found that spending too much time in a build is not good for keeping up flying skills. At one of our meetings, I (or one of the other fellows with similar thoughts) might suggest that those that spend huge amounts of time in the shop, should bring out one of their easier to fly aircraft with them, and fly it BEFORE taking the new model up in the air. It will do two things. 1: get their focus on flying and 2: calm them down just a bit before taking off that brand new scale plane or heli.

We have identified at least five to six guys that have that problem and this year, all of them have decked or destroyed at least two planes. Most of them were new giant scale planks. Go figure.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger