Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by dz1sfb
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,408 Posts
USC Combat

Guys,
I want to fly (pun intended) this by you and see what you think.

October 16 at 1 pm there is a meeting at Ultimate Soccer Arena to help formulate aircraft parameters, rules of engagement, and scoring system for indoor combat this season.

I am going to flex my time so that I can be there. Some of the concerns with our regular combat planes is the speed and stored energy that they are capable of. The concern arises form potential damage to the facility. So as I have chatted with other folks, we have thought about lighter weight lower powered models. Hate for it to get too restrictive, but this is an opportunity to be really creative. Hence the following idea.

Airframe design parameters; Anything you want within the materials allowed.

Materials allowed:
Foam: EPP, FFF, or MPF in the quantity of not more than 2 sq. ft. (thinking 1' x 2' piece to start with). Call this effort the "Two Square" design class.
Spar material: One spar allowed, 3mm carbon tube or 1/8" dowel rod not more than 24" long.
Battery: Not greater than 1000 mAh 2s
Motor: Anything that will not toast the esc (I think a Park 250 size would be great).
ESC: This would be the constraining factor at 6A or so. 43 watt input limitation.
Prop: This would also limit the speed if you specify a pitch limitation to say 3".
Servos: could be 5g or 9g, Hited HS-55, or whatever.

Lets have some feedback. Make this as interesting as possible for the widest possible appeal.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project