View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2009
12,996 Posts
Quote:
For a Slow Stick, one will only be using 5 or 9 propellers. This is not rocket science, just models/toys. A propeller is a propeller. You are only going to save up to 25 % about.
I'm still unclear by exactly what you mean by "using 5 or 9 propellers". Is this supposed to be a range of between 5 and 9 different props?

... And save 25% of what?

Quote:
I'm very confused why some really think it's a bad idea to test this stuff yourself.
Testing one's own props is a good idea. The only bad ideas here are the testing criteria you've laid out. Thrust per amp? That's like choosing a new car based solely on its power-to-weight ratio without considering any other factors (fuel efficiency, safety ratings, options, price, type of vehicle etc.).

If I chose every prop based on its ratio of static thrust to current consumption, I'd end up with a lot of planes that flat-out don't fly. You mention considering pitchspeed as a sort of offhanded remark while attaching vitrually no significance to it.

Quote:
I didn't say Dr. Kiwi is bad, just that it is probably a waste of time because you'll spend lots of time having fun on it instead of using it. I know, because I've done that before.
Phil's test data collection is solid gold. Anyone who says it's anything else is either blindly ignorant or is fooling themselves. The difference between his collected data and the multitude of calculators out there is... REAL-WORLD TEST DATA. It's actual empirical information taken straight from his test stand regarding a staggering number of motors and props, each at a wide range of voltage inputs.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀