View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by f14tom
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jul 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Personally, I wouldn't use a Lipo charger for a cutting supply.
Sorry to have mis-led you, vtdiy. The power supply I have is a separate unit from my LiPo charger. The power supply is supposed to put out 12 Volts and 20 Amps (somehow?). What I am confused about are the amount of voltage this power supply would put out and the amperage when I connect the cutting wire to the power. Also, I wonder if I need to regulate the voltage and/or amperage some how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
If you are in the US and don't want to wire anything, you can just get a 12 Volt 6 amp automotive battery charger and plug it into a Harbor Freight Router speed controller. Done. No wiring needed. And the speed controller has a built in fuse, 3 way switch and adjustment potentiometer, as well as a cord.
Yes, I am in the US. I do own an automotive battery charger. It's a Black and Decker Smart Battery 10/6/2 Amp Battery Charger (http://www.sears.com/black-and-decke...SPM1055114501P). So, I would assume, from your post, that I could plug the Router speed controller into the wall socket and plug the battery charger into the Router speed controller to control the input AC power into the charger. Consequently, the DC output could be regulated. Am I correct on that? Should I set the output amperage to 6 Amp then?

By the same token, could I plug my other power supply (12 Volt 20 Amp) into the Router Speed Controller? Would the 20 Amp be an overkill or a buffer? I don't want to burn out that power supply or cause a fire somehow.

Thanks for educating me on this issue!!
f14tom is offline Find More Posts by f14tom