Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Okay let's go one question at a time. First question:

Simple question. How much money is worth spending for test equipment that is nowhere near as good as Dr Kiwi's? How good are you at performing these tests and obtaining valid results, compared to Dr. Kiwi? Are you going to purchase a hundred dollars worth of random props for your testing and toss $96 of them so you can do the testing yourself? As a practical matter, what is the problem with benefiting from more qualified testing by people who have thousands of dollars invested in their equipment?

I say learning from others' experience is the key to progressing faster in the hobby. It makes no sense to reinvent the wheel at great expense, especially when it takes a long time to reinvent it and your wheel won't be as good as existing wheels.

You have been entirely non-responsive on this issue.
Hi, just to be clear that is not me you are quoting. But I'd like to add, that motor/prop combos only have a few possible prop combinations. My Slow Stick is not going to have a prop smaller than 9" and not bigger than 13"-this is probably 5 or 9 possible prop combinations. Propellers are dirt cheap, and a watt meter is only $20. A scale/thrust stand is another $20. These are both things you should have (and need for high performance models) anyways, so you are not spending anything close to "hundreds of dollars".

The answer is yes, your own tests will be way more accurate than any Dr. Kiwi man on the internet. It is really simple. Measure your thrust, and compare it to your wattage. If you have pitch speed in mind, just calculate it yourself and then pick the best pitch speed and thrust-watt prop. It's as simple as apple pie.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)