Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,055 Posts
Canopy outline and mold

Hi all
So target for this weekend is to start the first side of the big mold, but for now its still finishing off the plug.
I am adding lots of detail so this build thread can show all the steps it takes to scratch build a high end composite sailplane.
just say if its boring and I will add less detail.

When making a mold , you have to constantly think in reverse/negative for example you knock a small hollow into the plug, this will be a bump in the mold easy to flat down and polish, but a high spot makes a hollow in the mold , very difficult to remedy, also canopy lips etc must have a slight angled or rounded shape so the mold will release.

Anyway moving along, the painted canopy was masked and taped and carefully cut just inside the black shape, this was later sanded exactly to the line, the canopy was removed with the hot wire, nice to see how well the centre line is still showing through.
After some modelling blade cutting, a step was created , this was rough sanded and then filled with a mix of resin/micro balloons and cabosil, to which I added a red pigment so its easy to see whats going on and keep any fresh epoxy of the pre polished white fuselage areas.

A few cycles of filling and shaping will now follow, before spraying this area.
cheers
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh