Thread: Discussion sorry error please delete
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:09 AM
Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,215 Posts
So, I've been working on my LEG 60" Hellcat, and I finally finished painting it. I went a different route this time, deciding to go with Behr outdoor latex house paint. Since the plane is EPP and will be flexing in flight & landing, I wanted to use a more flexible paint that won't just flake off.

I broke out the HVLP spray gun, mixed up the paint with thinner (windshield washer fluid) and Floetrol, and started laying down the colors. I'm pleasantly surprised with how well it all worked. I was able to get pretty smooth coats, with no orange peel effect or fisheyes. Because it's water based, it was easy to use a heat gun to dry the initial few mist coats. The final heavier flow coat took a while to dry on its own, as I wanted it to flow and flatten out.

The downside is that it will take a long time to reach final cure. Something like 30 days. So... I can't do any weathering or decals for quite some time. I'll probably just fly it without doing any of that. If it survives, then I can add the pretty details later.

I sure wish I had a good spray booth. Every time I paint something, I get specks of schmutz in the paint from blowing dust, pollen, bugs, etc. I'd love to be in one of those spray rooms where there are fans in the floor to suck the air and paint overspray down and off of the parts. That would be heaven!
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member