Thread: Discussion Please help identify!
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by cityevader
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
3,801 Posts
The Drifter II was my very first RC plane back in the late 80's... right around 12 years old. If a youngster can be self taught, so can you.
I remember the great sense of accomplishment when I learned how to do a complete circle and catch it again. Talk about beaming pride when I could do it over and over!! and then re-learn it all over again for right hand turns. And then the thrill of the hi-start! OMG the shock of watching it go vertical and acting all the world like a kite in a very strong wind, which is exactly what it is at that point. The line attached at just the right balance point and the tail acts just like a, well... tail. The stretched tubing acts as the stiff breeze and viola! instant kite.

One recommendation is to not overdo the rubberband hold downs. For the very first few hand tosses, just a pair of #64 rubberbands will allow it to immediately pop off when it lands wingtip-before-fuselage. It'll look worse than it is when it flips away, but it'll prevent breakage when that wingtip causes plane to spin and then the opposite wing whips up and over. Many a landing had ended up upside down.

After comfortable, put a pair of #64 bands on each side to prevent excess movement compared to a single pair, and yet still be able to pop off on landing. Then later still, they can be stretched tighter in all sorts of crossing patterns.

High starts are completely fine for this. They're strong enough. Even though I had made the tail out of the Spruce spar material and the wing spars out of the tail's balsa. Tailheavyyyy. It still hi-started fine.

Oh, and I had white fuse and transparent red wings!
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader