View Single Post
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by Jovanx
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,432 Posts
Old habits die hard

Finally the right day with the right weather and right wind happened today. Here is the first time slope soaring the Radian. I have done it twice with the RP before. What a blast! You can see at the end it slips down behind a ridge upwind of my location. That wasn't where I planned on landing, so I hit the throttle stick to try and bring it back up. Nothing happened and then I realized my throttle-cut switch was on. I flipped the switch probably just as it was hitting the ground out of sight and ended up breaking the prop.

After a year of flying the Radian and RP, this is the first time I have broken a prop and the first time I have ever hit the ground with it turning. Hmmm...maybe there is a connection. Anyway, I figured it was a good day and had a couple of videos on the card and started hiking down the mountain. When I got about 2/3 of the way down it occurred to me..."Wait a minute, what do I need a prop for?!?!" I could have been still up there having fun in the wind. I never used the prop except to get out of trouble and all that got me was trouble. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Radian Floating over Mountain (1 min 44 sec)
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx