Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by sketchaholic
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Bought the Makerbot Replicator II

Gotta wait four to six weeks for delivery. The NYC shop on Mulberry Street is small but very busy on the weekend. Brought some of my carvings to show. I've got some weird whittlings so I stuck them in a box and brought them along. Since at least one (working pliers made out of one piece of wood, no glue) is very delicate I only showed two guys. Almost got an offer to lecture out of it. One of the guys has an uncle who teaches woodworking but he's up in Rhode Island or some place inconvenient. He invites guest lecturers. Nope, don't have much to say.

I'll try making bigger models in Sketchup. I like the Autodesk one a lot but whatever I look at is slightly overwhelming right now.

I'm home until Tuesday, but my main computers are two hours away right now. I do have two Macs here but none of the software is on them and without broadband I can't download anything big.

So it's time to dream about conquering the 3D world and watching old TV shows on this iPad. (I'd post pictures of my pliers but the iPad doesn't talk to RCG's photo upload stuff.)

Pete
Hi new best friend. Just kidding.

When you choose a program consider the amount of free tutorials and user base you can find online. It just makes finding information that much easier. I'm a self taught Autodesk Maya user. Tons of info on that program out there and I have printed things modeled in Maya through Shapeways.

For Modeling I know Autodesk 3Ds Max also has a huge online presence in terms of free tutorials and such.
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic