View Single Post
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
kcaldwel is offline
Find More Posts by kcaldwel
The answer is 37
kcaldwel's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
They are exactly the same as flap/aileron system. In sailplanes they are all used as ailerons as well. You just aren't using the inboard section as flaps, although I'm not sure why you wouldn't do that as well to assist with landing.

When the airplane is rolling, the induced aAoA change from the rolling motion is much greater at the tip than near the root. You want the outboard aileron to deflect more for a better lift distribution while rolling.

Deflecting the inboard and outboard the same will make the airplane more tip stall resistant, as was stated in my quote from Mark Drela, but it is less efficient. For a power airplane where efficiency doesn't matter much and with a lot of taper like your design, the safest way to start would be to deflect them the same angle, like full span ailerons.

kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Last edited by kcaldwel; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote