Thread: Help! Silk vs Iron on
View Single Post
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by Cliffc
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Help!
Silk vs Iron on

]I've recently returned to the hobby after building some planes in the mid 80s. It's probably a cliche but on retiring I bought several kits that I lusted after back in the day and now have my only little airforce of boxes. In particular I've got a Sig Liberty Sport and an Aristo Craft Grumman F3F-2. As both of these kits are off the market I am going to beg the indulgence of this forum to treat them as Vintage kits.

Here's my problem - both kits are designed for silk covering. the Aristo-Craft instructions just talk about it under the catagory of things not included but the Sig Instructions actually caution against iron on coverings. The F3F appears to have been an all metal plane and the Republic sport a fabric covered plane. I'd have been inclined before reading the instructions to use a plastic iron on and a fabric iron on respectively for these planes. I've never built with silk having gone from Jap Tissue in the 60s to iron on coverings in the 80s.

Is that a good idea or should I just use silk and dope? Any experienced based recomendations or threads or article references that could be provided would be appreciated. These are both neat kits and I want to not only do them justice, I want then to be strong enough when finished to be reliable. Your assistance is appreciate. Cliff Campen
Cliffc is offline Find More Posts by Cliffc
Last edited by Cliffc; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Senior Moment