Thread: Build Log Wicked powered SR-71
View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by mray
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
548 Posts
Hello guys!

I am new to this thread but have had my SR for a while now. I picked it up a couple of years ago as an RTF and it came with 40amp ESC's and a small 4S pack. At the time, I was new to flying so I had an experience pilot maiden her for me and she seem to fly great. I put it away until mid last year when I got a crazy idea to install two EPF Alloy Fans ( link is here...3700kv units) in my SR. After doing a heck of a lot work, adding 80amp esc's. 10 gauge wire and the fans themselves, I got worried that I couldn't put a battery in it big enough to really power them...and sure enough, with a big 5S pack, I pulled 120amps and 2200 watts... and they were still looking for more. However, the plane was REALLY heavy and so I am back to the drawing board.

It seems the best combo discussed in this thread has been Don's 4000kv motors. I don't have the stock fans anymore so I was curious has anyone used a better aftermarket fan? Is it better just to get the fan/motor/balance combo straight from Don and be done with it?

Oh...I also added rudders and the "whale tail" mod. It made a nice difference for me.
mray is online now Find More Posts by mray