Thread: New Product FMS F4U Corsair 1700mm
View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by gnats82
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
5,442 Posts
I came very close to choosing one of these 1700mm FMS planes to buy earlier in the year. While I had no preconceptions about trouble here, I ideally didn't want a model with a four bladed prop due to the energy absorbed in drag to turn it.

I chose the A-rc/H-K P-40N and it came with it's own set of problems including a wonky propeller problem with the spinner running a bit out of true and out of balance. The thing about their design however that's held up to this point is that the blades are supported by a tight fitting socket at the base with total 360* contact around them. The blades cannot 'whip' in any direction. The only screw involved in securing it/them goes through without any clamping force whatever, just to secures the blade from 'leaving it's nest'.

This FMS part failure is crowding very closely into consumer product safety issues. FMS and any other manufacturer that is selling a set up like this with appeal to the general public to buy has got to take measures to police their product with more responsibility when they get this large and powerful. Even though I've been a modeler for many years and taken pains to be responsible for my works, I would pass on currently getting one of these even though I think Corsairs are magnificent (as are P-40s......) I was sooo close.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 09, 2012 at 07:12 AM.