View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Joined Oct 2003
2,032 Posts
The following list is the equipment I chose to power my ALES Aspire. It was chosen because it fits in the confines of the fuselage, it is proven, and it requires low maintenance. Other powerplants will work, but this is the setup I would advise to any of my glider buddies to use for their first electric and expect it to be trouble free.
So this is the first step in getting started on your Ales Aspire. Procure the following:
1-Hacker A20-6Xl 10 pole 2500 KV motor equipped with a Mazon 4.4-1 Gearbox
1- Castle Ice Lite 75 amp ESC
1-RFM 38/4mm spinner
1- set GM 17 x13 F5J Blades
1- Soaring Circuit CAM
2- Thunder Power 65C 850 ma packs
2- pairs of Deans Ultra Connectors
My approach for for fitting out a new fuselage for an electro powered model is to start figuring where the different components will best go to faciltate proper CG placement and ease of working on charging and loading the packs.
The first step in building the fuselage out is to make a template of the gearbox mounting screw pattern. I used a round servo arm as shown to make it easy. Lubos provides a carbon laminate firewall that you will glue in to the fuselage to hold your motor. Because the Maxon box uses very small mounting screws relatively close to the shaft it is easy to compromise the carbon firewall. As a result I like to transfer the gearbox bolt pattern to a thin Fender washer from the local hardware store and then laminate the washer to the firewall with BJB epoxy. After it cures up check that the mount fits the gearbox . I set it up so the motor wires were oriented on the bottom of the fuselage. Once everything was checked for clearance, basically we are talking about the motor not touching the fuselage or wires, the spinner is placed on the shaft and the firewall is tacked in place. Bt before you get any epoxy near the fuselage please wax the out side of the fuse so you can remove any epoxy oopsies. Triple check that the spinner is fitting the fuselage lines. If you got lucky the first time go back and securely epoxy the mount in to the fuselage from the front side. I used a length of carbon tow and some carbon flocking in the epoxy slurry. Try to keep the epoxy from transfering to the back side of the mount.. It would be easy to get some epoxy in a bad place that you both can't get to, and the motor won't seat properly. Look at the following pictures to see how I did it.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:05 PM.