Thread: Discussion Walkera V120D05 - Belt driven !
View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by A VIKING
Joined Mar 2012
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I had a crash today split my main hear hub while using the copper sheer pin. It had been splitting slowing on one side. But it split right in half during my crash. The copper, instead of sheering, wrapped it's self around the main shaft INSIDE the plastic hub, since it split in to spots it had enough room to wrap around the shaft and copper wire. The main gear did not break free so the teeth were flattened. I had to cut the center hub to remove the sheer pin and replace the gear. This was my first and only ruined gear since using the copper sheer pin.
Integrity,
I had the same issue using any shear pin that was smaller than the hole in the mast and main gear. To much play will allow the pin to nail over while being sheared and that will damage the main gear each time until the main gear fails. A larger diameter copper shear pin that fits the hole will shear clean when needed and not damage the main gear. I have been using 18 gage copper wire that I spin in a Dremel between two flat diamond files until it's the proper diameter and just fits the mast hole with no play. Remove the copper wire from the Dremel and cut it to a length that will allow some of the pin to extend out of the main gear hole on both sides and push it in with your needle nose pliers, no need to bend either end over like you have done because it won't slide out now that it's the proper diameter.
Sinse I started making the pins this way I have never split a main gear.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING