Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I now understand what it is that you are saying....so you are not crazy...it was just a misunderstanding. I am wiring the strips in parallel but the LED's themselves are in series. I understand now...
I'm still not sure you quite understood what I was saying...

My little diagram represents the strip itself. The strip repeats that same pattern over and over. It's three resistor-ballasted series LED's, in parallel with three resistor-ballasted series LED's, in parallel with three resistor-ballasted series LED's in parallel with... over and over. That's why when you look at the strip you can see LED, LED, LED, chip resistor... LED, LED, LED, chip resistor...

Putting strips in parallel with other strips is just fine, of course.

The reason they only put three LED's in series on the strips is because they probably have around a 3 volt drop across each LED. Three in series has a 9-volt drop, and the resistor eats the rest of it. If they used more than three LED's in series, the strip wouldn't have enough voltage to run on 12 volts.

My comments about series resistors was pertaining to Galand's comment about using the wing and tail LED's wired with each other in parallel, which will not work well. He needs to have a separate resistor for each LED... or put a couple of them in series with a series resistor like they do internally with the strips.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Last edited by hydro_pyro; Oct 08, 2012 at 03:05 PM.