View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
Ok, forget about a new spar-but you could mount your gear to the spar, maybe with epoxy.
The problem is not with the design of how the gear is mounted to the wing but more from the length of the gear. This model has VERY tall wire main landing gear mounted inside massive wheel pants. The large wheel pants are part of what gives Gee Bee's their unique look and appeal to many modelers.

The larger models (50cc and 100cc) use much larger struts - sometimes tubular material. Tubular gear could probably be purchased for this 20cc size model but would add undesired weight. I don't personally want to spend the money on a custom set of landing gear - not in the budget for this model.

Personally, I probably will not fly this plane very much due to the history of its difficulty on takeoffs and landings. I hope I can master its flight characteristics to get some use out of it. Again, the larger models are reportedly easier to fly but they are "gas" powered with up to 450cc Moki engines (way out of my league).

The bottom line is that the gear will not be an issue if we make good landings.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:41 PM.