Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by Gregg28
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
...There is one clerical technicality though...
You can't award a USA National championship to a skipper from abroad.

Sorry, You can't be the Czar of Russia if you are a citizen of Canada. The world doesn't work that way.

Anyone competing for a USA (or ANY country for that matter) National championship, must be a member of that country's hosting organisation. As a citizen of the USA I can't come over to England and become your National champ... Unless I'm a card-carrying member.

My position is, that doesn't mean you're not welcome to sail..
It just means.. same as becoming a member of the Marblehead Model Yacht Club for $10.. if you don't pay your dues, you don't make the scorecard.

The other solution is to have skippers come from abroad.. Make allowances for them to sail, and call it a "WORLD" championship. That's not only an option, but maybe a better option!

Again. same point I've made here.. A M-50/800 is a M 50/800. If your boat measures (and, yes all boats absolutley should be measured at a National level event) it doesn't matter what country and organisation the skipper is from an M is an M and if a R/M nationals is to be held, all boats should be measured.
Not sure where this comes from. The AMYA By-Laws follow:

8.3 Participation in National and Regional Regattas.
8.3.1 In National or Regional Championship regattas, each yacht shall be properly registered in its class and all skippers shall be members of the AMYA. (1995)
8.3.2 Non AMYA entries may be accepted providing both Yacht and Skipper are properly registered with their National Authority in that class. (1986)

http://www.theamya.org/about/bylaws.php

The implication being, If you are eligible to compete, you are eligible to win.

The difference between "National" and "World" I would think would have more to do with sanctioning.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28