View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by nhp651
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,530 Posts
Ever since building my first Billing kit in my late teens I have had a morbid fear of building boat hulls plank on frame, and if anyone has built an early Billing kit with that horrendous mahogany type timber that they used to supply for planking their hulls.....you'll know why, and that is why I NEVER build a POF model anymore.........always resorting to grp for my models.

However I have tried many methods of producing a plug including plaster, solid and bread and butter timber hulls, and even framed hulls covered with mesh and then filler, and have always found that basic rough plank on frame hulls, skimmed with polyester filler is the most cost effectiv and quickest method for making a plug.

they might not be the prettiest of things I produce,and are full of gaps that you could sail a lifeboat through, and would never win a gong, but I find that once skimmed they come out ok..........so!!!

Here is the start of the latest plug with equal planking on each side, tapered at bow and stern to fit in so that once over the round of the bilges, the planks can go on whole and in one length.
neil.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651