View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:32 AM
steveobhave is offline
Find More Posts by steveobhave
Kiwi in Australia
steveobhave's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Carlingford
Joined Mar 2012
245 Posts
My weekend ended on a Monday night - turns out it's brilliant for getting work done!

Since I have basically been pandering to my rather flighty (sorry) need to engage in building whatever comes to mind, and subsequent need to reign myself in, I thought that an extra day of building would do me some good, and good it did!

First on the books was getting Kahu a good coating of micro to smooth out her top surface. It's a laborious task but the ends results are worth it and it only adds a small amount of weight. Having said that I've started getting a little concerned about her potential AUW and decided that only the top will be getting this love... so far...

Micro on:


After the micro goes on, it's the usual story of biffing the plane in the tent to cure quickly although this time I used the fast epoxy hardener so it went off in 2-3 hours which is all good.

Once out of the tent I gave it a quick going over with the sander and then hit it with some black rattle can paint to provide a good high and low point indicator for the initial finishing sanding.

After working up a pretty good sweat we've got what is really not too bad a finish.




I had hurled a bit more on the leading edge and used some more micro to fill in some bubbles that had formed on the surface during curing.
steveobhave is offline Find More Posts by steveobhave
Reply With Quote