Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by LedKitty
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,711 Posts
Discussion
Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe

So who thought they were going to reach ripe old age before seeing this take shape?

This project was originally begun back in 2005. I'd had an old Guillows Rufe hanging from my ceiling for a long long time. The shape of it inspired me, even more than its wheeled cousin! So I knew I had to have one. The GWS Zero appeared to be the starting point I required

Originally I'd had this kookie idea to make my own central float out of balsa formers, CF stringers, skinned with balsa and glassed. Apparently I have no patience! While I'd originally made some progress on this, the sheer 'ugh' of this and the much hated process of fiber-glassing the fuselage (I'd already glassed the much easier wings using polycrylic) just made things less fun and the project languished on the shelf for many many moons.

The absolutely excellent handmade aluminum double-stator brushless motor made by Art Newland went on to power other birds in my fleet such as my StarMAX Hurricane, then my E-Flite SeaFury before I upgraded its powerplant. I simply couldn't accept that my Great Planes Fokker D.VII could blow the doors off my Fury. The beautiful and indestructable motor (a work of "Art" so to speak) had to return to its original (and much lighter!) project.

About a year ago, I thought I might just investigate the GWS float set. Turns out they're EXACTLY the right size! I'm wondering if this might be more than coincidence! Anyhoo, a couple of sticks of 1/8" CF rod, some wheel collars, some streamlined aluminum tube and we were back in the races!

Other things like reducing the excessive wing incidence, removing the headrest and adding the full height rudder and ventral strake came next. But more on that later...

Cheers!

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Last edited by LedKitty; Oct 07, 2012 at 06:44 PM.