View Single Post
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Flew the SSS today with the 60A ESC, the EMP 3-blade 8x6 prop on the original stock motor, and two 2s 4000mAh R/C car batteries. That extra weight in the nose makes all the difference, the plane didn't stall once and flew very smoothly. Climbed out well at about 3/4 throttle, circled around etc., it's now a pleasure to fly.

Tried several turns and tested to see how it recovered from banks. It basically didn't. Bank it over, go around a turn and let the stick come back to center, and it stays banked over and continues turning. With correct aileron trim it did this equally in both directions, similar to what most real planes do. It takes a positive aileron input the other way to bring it out, typical for a wing with little or no dihedral.

No real surprise, of course, most planes are this way. R/C planes for beginners usually have enough dihedral to automatically roll out of turns, the SSS is not quite a beginner plane for this reason.

Landed (on the second try, this thing still floats forever, even with the flaps down) and noticed that the canopy cover had come loose. Turned out that the magnets on the fuselage, had decided to take a vacation and were stuck to the magnets in the cover. I'll sic the file and epoxy on them in a minute.

Didn't do a second flight with the loose canopy, so didn't have a chance to find out how well it climbs with the 4s battery and 3-blade prop, but did manage to do my first (poweroff) loop with this plane. Very pretty. Motor and ESC were only slightly warm after landing, but that's after a long poweroff glide as usual, not a good test of overheating. I never went to full throttle on this flight.

Plane is slightly noseheavy now (CG about 93mm from the leading edge), and flies like it, nice and stable. I have no problem recommending this as a good CG location. Haven't tried the one listed in the manual (100mm), but I'd guess that one is good too. So this starts to look like the beginning of an "acceptable" CG range: anywhere from 93mm to 100mm behind the leading edge of the wing, is probably a good place to have it.

I found out earlier that having the CG at 104mm (slightly tailheavy), makes the plane hypersensitive in pitch, it stalls a lot, bobs its nose up and down etc. Flyable, but it's annoying, you are always correcting it in pitch. I'd recommend against having the CG that far back.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:51 PM.