Thread: Discussion Pioneer Glider
View Single Post
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
1,076 Posts
A few days ago, I found that readymaderc.com decided that the Pioneer would not be the FPV vehicle they envisioned so were clearing them out. The white ARF is $100 and the white kit is $48. Bingo! order placed and have UPS notification of delivery this Monday.
Something struck me as familiar when I saw it for the first time. I began learning how to slope fly in the '70s with a Gryphon flying wing. There were very few RCers on Mt Baldy near Michigan City, Indiana, but there was a small group of new hang gliders. We learned it was mutually beneficial to co-exist to find the best lift.
Jim Marske lived there and flew both. We are the same age and flying wings created our bond. He flew RC slope so masterfully that the birds envyed his planes! I was so fortunate that he passed on to me instructions and actual flying condition techniques. He also showed me his shop where he was starting to make and sell full scale flying wing kits.
All this ended I believe in the'80s when Jim received a substancial offer for his home and property and it was turned into a big strip mall. Marske left the state. I lost a wonderful flying companion. Whenever someone gives me a compliment for finding slope lift, I remember and silently thank the opportunity to know Jim Marske.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro