Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Working for family/friends can be difficult. I think your $12 sounds reasonable. You can't work for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo View Post
Agreed.

I almost never bill by the hour when I can avoid it. Billing by the hour generally results in one side losing.

The person working by the hour is not really super motivated to work faster and this makes the person paying generally the loser.

I like to bid by the job. This motivates me to work at the fastest possible rate and lets the person paying the bill know in advance what the cost will be.

If you finish faster than you thought you would , you could always giver her some of the money back.

I would avoid the "by the hour" pay scale since you are in essence a private contractor on this. It will lead to tensions and difficult definitions as to what "productive" time is.

Good luck.

Agreed on both counts. $12/hr is very reasonable for such labor, and Gooroo has a good point about doing it for an hourly wage. bidding the job gives the customer peace of mind knowing exactly what the cost will be. Just don't underbid and sell yourself short.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring