Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by ElectroAviator
ElectroAviator
Chicago, IL
Joined Sep 2008
51 Posts
Build Log
Guillow Lancer RC Conversion

I just finished my first conversion of a Guillow's kit to radio control flight.

I decided on the Lancer. The Lancer looked like an interesting design, with enough room for the ParkZone electronics and geared electric motor.

The Lancer is easy to build, but a bit fragile for RC flight. I added some fuselage balsa side panels, ply bracing for the landing gear and some balsa filler at the wing root area. Total weight was right at two ounces.

The Lancer fuselage is narrow, so I installed the ParkZone ESC brick vertically, along a fuselage side. The motor fit in the nose perfectly, no mods required. Keep an eye on the CG with the long nose moment. I had to add a bit of tail weight, even working to keep the electronics and battery as far aft as able.

I used So-Lite iron on covering (from Mountain Models). So-Lite worked just great. Not too much shrinkage, and the covering adds a lot of strength to the finished airframe.

The Lancer flies great indoors. The polyhedral wing provides lots of stability. The model was a bit sensitive to rudder on the first flight. The wing offers so much stability, best technique is to "bump" the rudder, just don't hold too long in place.

I am very happy with this Guillow conversion, and look forward to future projects!

Guillow Lancer RC Model Airplane (2 min 17 sec)
ElectroAviator is offline Find More Posts by ElectroAviator