Thread: Discussion Model Diesel Engines
View Single Post
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by Gluehand
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,115 Posts
Hi Jim,

First, humbly, I think you mean G32. This was red headed, 1 cc, and with rear drum induction...
If your engine just "popped on the prime", my first - and last - thought is that there might have been some kind of gasket issue... As the ST's were so well built, I can not imagine anything more serious than that... My "middle thought" goes to the rear drive disc....if it has more than one hole to catch the crankpin, it might have been fitted in the wrong position....mind, the disc of my ST G15RV has indeed 2 optional holes...

"Popped on the prime", was just what a Czech "Start Junior" 2 cc did to me....
Occasionally it would do a short run, but mostly it just "popped".....
When cleaning it, at a later stage, I noticed a grayish spot of oxide at the crankcase inside. When trying to rub the oxide off with a wooden dowel, it just went through the crankcase wall (see pic). As you can see, part of the crankcase wall is extremely thin, some of it consisting of just oxide & gunk....and it was virtually invisable from the outside...! Obviously air must have leaked through the small pores.....
Now I think this is weld- or solderable - but I did learn something on hidden faults, and on castings in the process...

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Oct 06, 2012 at 08:49 AM.