Thread: Discussion Parkzone UM Spitfire with AS3X
View Single Post
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by shepflyr
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
1,016 Posts
FLIGHT REPORT:
Maidened my Lil Spit this morning and WOW! She’s SWEET!
Well trimmed straight out of the box! The wind was supposed to be 3-4 mph…light and variable. Well, it was…close to the ground. Once I got her in the air (after an effortless hand-toss launch w/o LG), it became evident that the wind was blowing considerably harder the farther up she got. When I got home, the TV said 9 mph. So I’d guess it was blowing 6-8 at least “upstairs”.

The air was unstable with a cold front approaching. I kept her below 100’, but still, she was blown up and down vertically along her flight path as much as 6-12 inches. Didn’t take a chance trying low passes in that! (After flying the Spit, I flew my F4F Wildcat …and the winds did the same thing to her!...although not as much since she’s a good bit bigger and more powerful.)

In truth, Lil Spit did beautifully! She had more than enough power to take it on! She's definitely a performance step above the other UM warbirds, IMO. None of them could have even flown in this wind. (P-51 maybe, but it would have been ROUGH!) Her AS3X got a workout, but worked perfectly. She was very stable!!! Beautiful, axial barrel rolls! Did have trouble doing a loop from level flight. But I can’t hold that against her yet. Variable winds would have played a part, plus I don’t fly WOT on maidens…not ‘till I get the motor and new battery broken in.

Landing approach was sweet. She came in (with some power on) for a perfect pancake landing on the grass. Would have, too, except for that 9” tall invisible grass stalk that caught her left wing between the fuse and cannon. It spun her around a half turn and down into the soft grass. No damage at all.

But she’s a great flyer and looks very scale in the air. Sky was sunny with some high clouds. She was easy to see and I had no orientation problems at all. LOVE her appearance w/o the LG! Can’t wait to fly her in calm air. Will fly her with LG on sometime just for fun ‘cause I love doing ROG’s and landings.

If you’re sitting on the fence on this one…don’t!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Last edited by shepflyr; Oct 05, 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: removed one smiley