Thread: Discussion Control for twin rudders?
View Single Post
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Joined Mar 2007
1,480 Posts
That is going to be tricky. There is usually a lot of lost motion with twin-rudder setups.

I did think that you could hinge the whole tailplane, such that it rotates a few degrees about the normal axis. But, that might complicate the elevator' arrangement ... if you are fitting an elevator, that is.

I like the idea of the single rudder. And, I like the idea of the pull-only system, with a spring return.

If it were mine, I'd plump for the latter, I think. Very light pull-wires could be reasonably routed around the various angles and the whole set-up should be quite positive. I've certainly used flying controls that are spring-biased ... admittedly, on a much larger model ... but they worked really well.

I once knew a bloke who used a similar system to control the throttle on a Tartan Twin. Basically, he had a bit of string which pulled the throttle to OPEN; the thottle returned to CLOSED under its spring pressure. Sounds a bit crap, but it was a really good system, because it was easy to route and it completely isolated the servo from direct engine vibration.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Last edited by bogbeagle; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:25 AM.