View Single Post
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,849 Posts
Laminating MPF with WBPU

We're in the process of moving into our new home. The previous owners left a 26-inch-wide countertop behind in the garage, along with the perfect amount of perfectly-sized heavy floor tiles for covering a 48" x 24" space with a double layer of heavy tile. In other words, they left us with a perfect MPF Laminating Station. See the photos below.

We move in a week, so I'll be booked solid for two weeks, which will ensure that these four-into-two sheets of MPF, with water-based polyurethane varnish as the glue, will be completely dry and cured.

Next step will be to cut them up into 38-inch biplane parts. I'm really anxious to see what the bare parts weigh. Whatever it is, and it won't be much, half of it will be the additional weight "penalty" that I'll pay to have a phenomenally tough and rugged 3D biplane. I suspect that penalty will be one that I can live with.

(BTW, it took slightly less than a pint of WBPU varnish to glue up the four sheets into two. I laid it on in one thick coat on each sheet.)

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus