Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
988 Posts
Build Log
IOM Scratch Build

Hi Guys,

Thought this might be the best place to post my build log for an International One Metre design....so hope it will be of interest and use to would-be constructors, and an opportunity for experienced hands to put me right !

This is my first hull build, as I've been heavily into vintage aircraft and active on that forum for some years.

So here goes with the first set of pictures.

The design chosen was Frank Russell's "Goth"...for no other reason than I love the lines, and plans were easy to scale up from Frank's online download. A "big thanks" to Frank for making these plans available to all....a great guy all round.

The shaddows were cut from 3mm craft board (12 inch sq sheets being obtained from Ebay). These have proved to be really great for pinning, and very much recommended..also easy to cut accurately with and electric jig saw. I pasted the shaddow outlines to the craft board after scalling up on the office printer.

The planks are of 10mm wide 1/8th balsa (3mm) in 36 inch lengths, apart from the lowermost centre keel plank which is from spruce, as are two part planks either side of the centrefin area and the deck strake (uppermost plank).

So far so good, and planking should be completed this week, with final sanding and glassing shortly thereafter.

Note that the planks in the bow area are shown unglued to the stem piece to allow a uniform section to be achieved once both sides arecompleted (they have since been drawn in and finished).

Regards
Chris
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Last edited by Chris Jenkins; Oct 05, 2012 at 02:58 AM.