View Single Post
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by Jovanx
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,433 Posts
Ground effect on windy day

One of my favorite things to do with the Radian is to milk the ground effect for all it's worth. If the field is big enough, you can get it down to about 2 feet off the deck and still go an amazing distance before finally setting it onto the grass. My question is...does this still apply when the wind is blowing hard and the plane is hovering in one spot?

On Saturday the Radian was put to the big wind test and it did great. Usually I fly the RP on those days, but it was at home. The wind sock was sticking straight out and there was only one guy flying (an edf jet). I did a few loops and spiral dives just for fun, but most of the time was spent with it pointed into the wind and staying in one place. I did about 5 or 6 vertical landings, and all were good except one was hard enough to knock the canopy off.

One of the landings was amazing, and the pilots who were watching were impressed. It just hung there, hovering 2 feet off the ground, for an unbelievably long time. (gliding, not under power). Was the ground-effect cushion still a factor in this wind?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx