Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by Paul1PA
Spool 'er up!
United States, FL, Oxford
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataub View Post
I'm thinking of replacing the wing joiner with a CF one. Would this one do?

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...md=showreviews

Hyperflight also do ones with an internal diameter of 8.5 and 8.0 mm

They're only 75mm long so may be slightly short?

Have I done my conversion right (from 0.0375, or whatever it is) to 10mm Outside diameter? Not quite right but near enough?

Questions questions questions......

All answers gratefully received,

Steve
Hey Steve,

Yes, the OD of the Radian spar is 10mm. Also, the 75cm length of the HyperFlight carbon spar will be fine (in fact, you'll have to trim off 50mm to match the stock length ).

What is your reason for wanting to use CF? If you're only looking for increased stiffness, one good option is to simply use a Radian Pro wing spar. Both the length and OD are identical but the spar is substantially stiffer. However, since the Pro spar is still fiberglass and has a thicker wall, it is heavier. For comparison, my Radian and Radian Pro spars weigh 21.5 grams and 41.9 grams, respectively. Don't see a published weight for the HyperFlight spar, but being CF it will most likely be stiffer and a bit lighter than the stock Radian spar.

Personally, I like to use the Pro spar in windy/turbulent conditions or when doing aerobatics. Plane seems to handle the flight stress better plus the added mass may help slightly with penetration into the wind.

Hope this helps,

-Paul
Paul1PA is offline Find More Posts by Paul1PA