View Single Post
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by snowman
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
6,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Thanks snowman, I thought it might be, but I wasn't sure. You are pretty close, or I should say, your peninsula must be pretty small. I mean, you can only see so far, even at that altitude. No wonder you are such a sportsman. You'd fit in well in Louisiana!
The Keweenaw Peninsula is small indeed, approximately 150 miles long by 50 miles wide. Being a peninsula.....we don't get the traffic that other areas get because you have to retrace your steps to back out of the Keweenaw. Although I would like to think I could be right at home in the deepest recesses of the bayou....we don't have anything poisonous (other than Lyme disease carrying ticks) and the heat would be something to contend with. But man could I get into crawfishing, gator, turtle, and nutria trapping!!! I can't imagine what it must be like to not be buried in snow during the winter months.....although there's something very satisfying about being inside a wood-heated cabin deep in the woods while a blizzard rages just outside the door. I'm sure that some remote camp deep in the swamp gives the same satisfaction of being one with the wilderness.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman