Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by lovegroove
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
I have a noob question I couldn't get answered anywhere.
I've heard claims that video is more stable and running more efficient if you use long arms, large props, and 3s. However, I've heard the same said for 4s, short arms, small props. Im mainly interested in smooth gopro video in HD that wont require lots of post production. What's the truth?
Also, are tricopters as good as quads for video? A lot of people want to start cheap, thus the appeal of tricopters.
Thanks
I don't think that there's a conclusive answer to your question. If you take the time to setup your copter properly and make every effort to reduce vibrations, you can get just about any combination to work for you. Having said that, just take a look at what the big boys use for professional AP work. A big machine will obviously not get knocked around in the wind as much in the wind, but it would be total overkill to have something like a cinestar to carry a GoPro.

In theory, spinning a larger prop slowly is more efficient than spinning a smaller prop fast. Just look at anyone who's achieved 50min flight times and they're all running low kv motors with large 15"+ props. At the same time, running higher voltage should also be more efficient, which is why so many people use 4s or 5s.

There's no reason that a tricopter can't be good for video, but obviously it won't have the same lifting capacity as a quad, hexa or octo. It's also slightly more tricky to mount a camera gimble on a tricoper, so only really good for fixed camera use. I also think that a tricopter feels more like an aircraft in flight, especially when yawing and I quite like that when I watch footage from a tricopter.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove