Thread: Discussion Strip planking
View Single Post
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by campbelltf
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
321 Posts
I have seen this article once before and need to try this method on a build, but I can't seem to grasp the process for cutting the strips. In the picture on the first page of the article, the edge of the balsa sheet is up against the guide rail of the stripper. Once that plank is cut and removed, I get you can't simply slide the stripper up against the new edge or you'll get a strip like version "C" which is useless. The article says, "turn the main balsa sheet 180 degrees (do not turn it over)." To me that says you spin the sheet as it's lying on the work surface, so the same face facing up stays facing up and you cut the next strip from the opposite edge. But then when you turn the piece 180 degrees again you are right back on the first edge and the strip will look like "C".

The only thing I can think of is when you turn the balsa 180 degrees, you keep cutting on the same edge and actually have the stripper sitting on the balsa sheet instead of on the work surface. My issue there is you no longer have the edge of the balsa running along the guide rail so you risk not cutting in a straight line.

Or you flip the balsa over so the side of the sheet that was touching the work surface is now facing up and cut on the same edge as the previous cut. This seems like it would result in a piece looking like "A" but the "do not turn it over" statement in the article has me wondering. Any clarification would be great.
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf