Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by Quick61
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Mark's photo of the typical DLG tail shows how far this type of glider has developed. All carbon. Very strong, rigid and light. These planes are so light that many landings are hand catches. Hard crashes are rare for these "floaty" birds.

Kent
How large a dia. tube are you going to be using Kent? The trouble I have had with both CF and fiberglass tubes / rods is their inability to handle torsional loading because all but the most expensive ones are made with uni fibers. either rolled or die extruded. Pulling epoxy soaked CF rovings through the tube will help, especially it you twist them. If it's in your budget, I might suggest instead of, or in addition to the tow filled center, cover the outside with some biaxial sleeve Or maybe even better yet, roll your own boom with layers like, 2 layers uni CF, then cover with biaxial FG/CF.

Another thing you could do if not wanting to go to the trouble of making your own boom or ordering new materials would be to spiral wrap the FG boom with CF tow. Wrap in the direction of the expected torsional load so it tightens on loading. (the direction of the wrap is determined by whether you are right or left hand launching)

This information was borne from weeks of research I did while looking into building a tail boom that would stand up to the torsional loads of a V tail on a little pod and boom glider called Eclipse that is on my "someday" list.

Mark

EDIT: This thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=mandrel - has info on rolling your own tail booms if your not familiar with the process. There are many others on here as well as some youtube videos.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Last edited by Quick61; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM.