Thread: Discussion Swap meet score, what is it?
View Single Post
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,235 Posts
Looks a whole lot like a Sophisticated Lady.
http://www.hobbyclub.com/images/gpma...icatedLady.jpg
That means it's much like a Gentle Lady except for a weak tail (t-tails tend to break easily) and the brutally pointed nose which might hurt someone. The GL is aptly named as it is handles nicely and floats well. But you probably know that. By all means fly it.

If you have a really good arm, you can throw it. I've seen a skilled pilot with a strong arm fly a Gentle Lady as a hand launch glider. It's easy to add a tow hook. Just put a piece of aircraft ply inside the bottom, slightly ahead of the c.g. Bend a threaded cup hook into an l shape and screw into a hole in the ply, maybe an inch ahead of the c.g. You can try moving it back maybe a quarter of an inch at a time for higher launches. Suggest using a high start that just barely fits in your field when stretched. Aerofoam makes some nice ones called Hosemonsters. A cheaper option might be the Dynaflite "Heavy Duty" high start, which is actually only strong enough for two meter gliders like this one.

If everything is really flat around you, perhaps you could slope it in front of that barn which shows up on Google Maps when you look up Evansville. It really doesn't take much if the area in front of the slope is flat for a long way upwind. I've sloped a two foot (or less) bump in the sand in a light wind coming off the ocean. Needs a light glider, but this one probably is.

I think a rule of thumb is 75 watts per lb. That should give you enough for a reasonably strong climb. That would be about 125 watts. Anything recommended for a light two meter glider ought to work just fine. I've seen a slightly lighter two meter (the Allegro Lite) climb just fine with a Speed 400 ferrite motor and a 6 inch Graupner folder, but it had to be kept moving, and you might spend a couple of minutes getting to a few hundred feet. The power system from a Radian would be manageable but give you a lot more than you need. If it was me, I think I might try a 7 inch prop of medium pitch (4 to 6 inches, maybe?) and a motor that could put 125 watts into it.

I've seen power pods that can be rubber banded on top of the wing, but I don't know how well they work.

Beware of the single conversion receiver that originally came with the Attack, unless you're flying in the middle of nowhere, with no one else on 72 mHz. It's narrow band and all, but there are various problems. Particularly with two radios 23 channels apart. I'm not expert, but I hate crashes.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln