View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
Bill Netzeband had been with Testors for many years, however, his advice about engines was mostly ignored. He did design the guts of the Series 21, while Testors called in some outside creative artistry consultants for a visual look that would set their product apart. The terrible box shape was the result. They wouldn't change it when it didn't sell as well as the old engines (which both Netzeband and Dick McCoy were both trying to tell them), and dropped out of manufacturing engines larger than .049 size.
This is an unfortunate marketing decision. I would have much preferred the Red Heads over the Series 21's. Several years prior (early 1970's), I bought a McCoy Red Head .19 stunt engine from America's Hobby Center on sale for $6. A few years later, I bought around a half dozen Series 21 engines, 29's and .40's for around $5 apiece on clearance at a local hobby store. The only one I have left now is one .40. I have a Dubro stack spring baffle muffler somewhere, was thinking of possibly building a Ringmaster for it.

Quote:
Incidentally, the Series 21 cylinder and piston were a drop-in upgrade for the older Red Heads.
This is good to know, might come in handy with some vintage C/L models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
I always heard that the added weight/fins to the Series 21 were purely cosmetic. I did have an S21 40 that ran great! It had a dykes ring and after reassembly the engine had extremely low compression until the dykes ring could seat effectively.
That's what I gathered the reason for the odd engine shape. Unfortunately, Testors' management apparently didn't understand marketing with modelers. Modelers don't look for fashion statements, they look for economic prices and performance.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Last edited by OkiThumper; Sep 28, 2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Clarified purchased Red Head displacement.