View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
im not sure foam will be happening anytime soon. foam is basicilly a bubble with gas traped inside.
tho for bigger airplanes, it might work. 0.7 mm thick wings are heaiver than, say 1mm depron, but when you scale it up, you could do stuff like honeycomb wing ribs for a 48 inch WS. then the weigh is not as big a deal.
in not sure of the strength vs CF or plywood, but it does have the advantage of bending. any airliner will have wing flex designed in to it. i would think it helps dampen out the changes in motion.
its an intresting medium that has not been done yet. you get the flexablity of foam, with the strength of thin ply wood, but you have much finer control.
Concerning foam, I'm thinking of micro balloons. They have a superfine particle size but they are still hollow. I've made paste with lots of micro balloons and very little epoxy and it's as light as shaving cream. Micro balloons can be made of glass, which is certainly not going to melt in the nozzle and they can be stuck together with as little plastic binder as possible for the least end weight.

Just a day dream.

Going to the NYC Maker Faire Sunday and I'll get a chance to talk to lots of people. There's a new printer designed by some guys from MIT, mostly for themselves. Four times the resolution of the Makerbot (that's 64 squirts of the nozzle for each Makerbot squirt) (4 times 4 times 4) and it uses laser fusing.

It's volume is something like 4.9 by 4.9 by 6 or so. Very nice finish on what it makes but too small for a lot of things.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug