Thread: Alert Sky Bench
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,235 Posts
On pre cured CF to wood:
Not so long ago, I tried to make up some spar caps with precured .014 carbon on top for another project. I used laminating epoxy that I got from a boat builder. I've used it before for wetting out fiberglass and carbon, seemed fine. . It peeled off the wood easily. 30 minute epoxy did a much better job. Is the rubberized CA on the carbon side or the wood side?

On the tail, what is the density of the wood? If you don't cut lightening holes, you don't have to cover the tail and you can just use sanding sealer or something. (I like SIg Sanding Sealer). If smell is a problem, you can put on water based polyurethane as described here:
http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/d.../lightfin.html

I find it easier to use the sanding sealer, but it does have a penetrating smell. The water based urethane is ok, for me not quite as nice results, but ok. On the small sample pieces I was doing, weight was about the same.

Nitrate dope mixed with talcum powder was good, but not as good as the sanding sealer.

If you use light c-grain on the stab, and you taper it with a plane so it is thinner out near the tips, it will be just as strong and almost as stiff for most purposes, particularly in the air, but you can save quite a bit of weight. I am not sure but my guess is that it will be as light as a built up stab for less work.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln