Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by AllanK1
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegbogh View Post
Hi All

So you and the family got to the F3J Worlds Mike?

Allan

Yes Allan, I took the day off and went out for the last day and the fly offs, with my younger son.
I was not exactly sure where the field was, about an Hours drive from my place, anyway we where heading through a small town and in the general direction, when I spotted what looked like sparkles in the sky, quite amazing . Headed that way and the sky looked like it was sprinkled with glitter, the distance was about 5kms and the sun was just right. As we got closer picked up some direction signs and arrived, but the sight of all the F3J sailplanes up high in the thermals was amazing.
I left competitive flying a long time back but it was nice to watch and see some of the top guys in person and in action.
regards
Mike
Yes it would have been special. We do have a solid core of very competitive fliers here in NZ. Having Joe has raised the game a bit but I note he doesn't always win. His real strength is his ability to read the air and help all team pilots at an event like the Worlds. His huge experience at this level helps of course. His contacts help too when it comes to getting help with towers and the likes. I do note we needed South African help this time. Young Conrad was born and breed in your part of the world. He made the fly off with Joe for the Kiwi team. I do still fly competion sailplanes but am increasingly getting distracted by the scale stuff since we started Aero Towing locally this year. Its been good fun and I'm itching to get started on a big bagged scaley. Only the design done and the templates cut so far.
All the best Mike.
Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1