Thread: Discussion ST Models' ASW28 revisited.
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,222 Posts
Hi, Ray.

Mine is the ST Models from Tower. For the dihedral mod I wanted to use 1/4" aluminum but it wouldn't fit inside the provided CF tube so I used 3/16" steel rod 8 inches long. I cut the stock joiner in half then I bent the steel rod to 5 degrees. Then I wrapped the ends and middle of the rod with Skyloft (basically very thin fiberglass cloth made out of nylon) until it fit tight. Then I soaked the Skyloft with thinned epoxy and filled the rest of the area with epoxy thickened with talcum powder. I did one half at a time and let it set with the steel end down so that the very center would be filled even if there was a void towards the end.

My flying weight, depending on which battery I'm using, is 600-650 grams. That's with three coats of paint, the aforementioned steel joiner, an aluminum spinner, and the aileron mod. I'm also using a 1050kv motor and ESC from a little foam Extra 300 but, although I don't worry about using a 3 cell battery, it's a pretty wimpy motor. I didn't have a watt meter when I had the stock motor in it but the new one only puts out about 100 watts. The stock power train and prop is adequate but still a rather sedate rate of climb. Feel free to ask if I've left anything out.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh