I used 3/8"X1 1/2" stock from Esprit then just cut it in half. Then I removed as much material as I needed from the leading edge. I should have sanded them a bit more before I painted them because, after I hinged them, they stick out about 1/16" from the trailing edge.
I used tape hinges and went with HXT900 servos from Hobby King. There wasn't anything apparently wrong with the stock servos but I put them through a bit of punishment carving them out of the wing roots and I had the 900s on hand. I can't say that I notice any issues with the weight but, since I have about three times the aileron sensitivity, I don't know how it would manifest a problem.
The only thing I might change is to go with a Z-bend on the servo end and an EZ connector on the control horn. The pushrods are only 1 1/2" long and the threaded portion of the rod is into the EZ connectors on the servos so it's a bit of a process to adjust the length. They work just fine but it ended up being a bit of a cobble job.