Thread: Discussion Using Gyros on an RC airplane
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by Melnic
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
My rule of thumb is to fly (or have someone else fly) the plane w/o NO GYRO. Any new plane is best maidened on a calm(ish) day.
If you want to add a gyro to it, add the gyro and test it on a calm day. I like the gyros that you can turn the gain off and it acts as if no gyro is installed (guardian,BLight,A3Pro). The heli gyros are cheap if you just need one axis but if you want 2 or 3, your better off just getting an A3 pro at the minimum and go OFF/RATE on it.

My next rule of thumb is to start your first venture at 30% gain. Each 3 axis gyro is different but the heli gyros and the A3/A3Pro/i86ap gyros will tend to want you to keep the Aileron gyro lower than the elevator or Rudder. My experiance is the rudder can take the highest gain but don't forget, there are other factors. Yes, it is possible to have a gain of 100% on the rudder and it won't oscillate, but the real test is a high speed dive. But look out, it could rip the plane apart until you can slow it down. Use ony the amount of gain you need and try not to use more than that. Generally, if a plane needs a rudder gyro, it may be because there is something mechanical or the way you are taking it off that causes it (misaligned tail/nose wheel vs. Rudder).

Short coupled planes like the Cub or many WWII biplanes really benifit from a rudder gyros but it does not mean in my opinion to slap it on and forget that you still need to use your left hand on take off. Have fun and if your learning, when your comforatble, ween yourself off the gyro slowly and then have it there for a windy day or a day you feel you need it.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic