Thread: Discussion Using Gyros on an RC airplane
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,236 Posts
Not disagreeing with this as I think it is how most people would understand gyro action but to be really pedantic:

Gyros respond to ANY disturbance - whether from external forces or commanded by you.

So if you send a roll command to the plane by deflecting the aileron stick, the gyro doesn't know this. What it does know is that the plane starts to roll and it will issue a countermanding instruction to the servos.

This is what is called the "fighting the gyro" effect I believe.

Clever software can overcome this but simple rate gyros will always exhibit this phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
As far as I know, this is what gyro systems in general will do: resist any changes not commanded by the transmitter, whether it is due to wind, wing dihedral (change coming from the forces from the wing traveling the air, not the transmitter) or anhedral, etc. This I believe is the flip side of a gyro making it easier to hold a knife edge (even in a wing with dihedral): easier to hold a knife edge (wings staying quite non-level) means resisting the wings going back to level.

As far as I know, gyro systems are not recommended for beginner planes for this reason.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604