Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:37 AM
Find More Posts by flying-llama
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I'm using an Eagle A3 for basic gyro turbulence dampening on 3 axis, for FPV. It really helps, and the plane handles the bumps wonderfully.
However, I notice that it has taken out some of my Twinstar's inherent positive stability, and made it more neutrally stable. For example, it resists turbulence trying to lift a wing, but once it does manage to find itself in a bank, it also resists the dihedral effect of trying to level the wings. So the net effect is that instead of having the wings rocking back and forth in turbulence, it smoothly rolls off one way or the other if I stop working the ailerons to keep wings level. Has anyone else noticed this?
As far as I know, this is what gyro systems in general will do: resist any changes not commanded by the transmitter, whether it is due to wind, wing dihedral (change coming from the forces from the wing traveling the air, not the transmitter) or anhedral, etc. This I believe is the flip side of a gyro making it easier to hold a knife edge (even in a wing with dihedral): easier to hold a knife edge (wings staying quite non-level) means resisting the wings going back to level.

As far as I know, gyro systems are not recommended for beginner planes for this reason.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama