View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by richie967
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
357 Posts
Help with tail design and reinforcement, & White paper, not a good idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade View Post
Glass over foam is very strong - its just the manufacturing method to get it on there well (i.e. vacuum bagging) has a steep learning curve and requires some out of the ordinary equipment.

Be careful with white paper - I think it is sealed somehow to stop ink running (and so might not bond as well), whereas brown paper is more porous. I think.

Looking good so far tho
I have cut the tail sections out, and now need to think about how to reinforce them prior to covering in fiberglass/brown paper and water based polyurethane varnish.

Here are my thoughts, cut Ailerons out, and then cut 45 degree angles in each half so they meet nicely at the top, then stick together, and cover with a layer of 175gm fibreglass, no spas or other reinforcements.

Option 2, insert a full depth spa at the thickest part of the wing, then cover in brown paper and water based polyurethane varnish. I am not sure how to get strength where the two halves meet though.

Any suggestions?

RE: The main wings,
Someone suggested i use white instead of brown, I believe i used the wrong sort of white paper, it does not look like it has absorbed the varnish, and has begun to peel of the wing in some areas. I'l definitely use brown next time. The wings are quite heavy now, but I have learnt a lot in making them, the next ones will be twice as light!

R
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967